Sometimes it’s a struggle to pay your bills. This may be because you are on a low income, such as Centrelink. It could be because of a change in your circumstances – unemployment, personal injury, illness or family separation.

You always have a right to ask to pay your bill off in smaller payments. This is called asking for ‘hardship’. There are other debt management options available to you.

If you are struggling with your bills, as a first step we recommend you get advice from a free financial counsellor about your debt management options as soon as possible. You can do this by calling Moneyhelp. This will allow you to make an informed decision, taking into account both  short and long terms.